Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brogan is an iDog


Awesome Mac trainer Nic is also darn good with Rottweilers.

The Apple Store in Los Gatos is a dog mecca and Brogan has been going with me for training appointments and hard drive melt down crises for nearly his whole life. Ironically for a town whose name means "The Cats" in Spanish, all of downtown is very dog friendly and on any given weekend the Mac store can look more like a coffeehouse/dog park combo than a retail store.

Today Brogan went along with me for a three hour long project appointment to work on a video for one of our longtime foster dogs at CARE, Birdie. Brogan is a real sweetheart about sitting very quietly under the tables you see in the background above. Most people who arrive after he has "Didn't even realize there's a dog under there" (I get that comment a lot). I now warn people, just in case they bend down and see a big fuzz face sitting near their loafers. We don't want any apoplexies in the Mac store. Especially not over my dog.

Everything was going swimmingly (Nic was a great instructor in addition to being very photogenic), but about an hour and a half in I looked down to see Brogan floating off towards another table. Oops! He's usually so good, but then I realized that normally our appointments are an hour and half, not today's three hours. His little internal clock was saying "Job over, time to go home". I called him back and put him on another down stay but it was a good reminder to me that I need to pay more attention to his needs: "bio" breaks, water breaks, a nice stretch. Three hours is a REALLY long time to hold a downstay!

When it was finally time to go, Brogan said goodbye to Nic and a couple of the other trainers like the celeb he is and had the biggest doggie grin I'd seen on his face since Emma left. It is really wonderful to see him such a kick out of his 'new' role!

Here's Birdie, the CARE dog whose "YouTube Promo Video"
I'm working on in iMovie. She's a wonderful 2 year old pittie mix
(about 45 lbs) who is looking for her forever home.

No comments:

Post a Comment